Weekly Current Affairs Quiz: 17 May to 23 May 2021 for Competitive Exams
- The World Hypertension Day (WHD) is celebrated on 17 May worldwide to promote public awareness of increasing high blood pressure (BP) and to encourage citizens of all countries to prevent and control this silent killer.
2. Amazon India has launched a free video streaming service named miniTV. Amazon now has two video streaming service- Prime Video and miniTV.
What is Amazon mini tv app?
Amazon announced the launch of miniTV for Android users. India is the first country to try out the miniTV feature. The miniTV is a free, ad-supported video streaming service available within the Amazon shopping app. This implies that anyone who has the Amazon’s shopping app, can access the miniTV.
Amazon mini tv download guide
- Download the Amazon shopping app from PlayStore.
- Open the app and below the search bar, you will see the “miniTV” icon.
- Click on the “miniTV” icon.
- Choose from various categories and videos and watch.
3. 2-deoxy-D-glucose (2-DG)
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh released on Monday the first batch of a keenly awaited, anti-Covid-19 drug called 2-deoxy-D-glucose (2-DG). It has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), in partnership with a Hyderabad based private firm, Dr Reddy’s Laboratories.
The new drug is not a vaccination, or a preventive measure against being infected by the Covid-19 virus. Rather, the 2-DG molecule hastens the recovery of patients who are already suffering from the disease and are, in most cases, facing severe oxygen dependency. The drug is dispensed in powder form in a sachet, and taken orally after being dissolved in water.
Rajnath Singh handed over the first batch of the new 2-DG drug in Delhi to the Minister for Health & Family Welfare, Science & Technology and Earth Sciences, Harsh Vardhan.
4. US Pharmaceutical company Johnson and Johnson has partnered with a Telangana-based pharma company in India, Biological E Limited for manufacturing of its COVID-19 vaccine
5. Arjan Singh Bhullar
Arjan ‘Singh’ Bhullar became the first Indian fighter to win the ONE Heavyweight World Title at the top-level (Mixed Martial Arts) MMA Championship event in Singapore on May 16, 2021, after defeating the longtime heavyweight king Brandon ‘The Truth’ Vera.
6. Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology (IDRBT)
The Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology (IDRBT) is building a next-generation Digital Financial Infrastructure named National Digital Financial Infrastructure (NADI). NADI would provide a roadmap and framework for future digital financial services growth in India.
About the NADI:
- NADI will consist of modern network infrastructure which includes 5G/Edge Cloud with SDNs (software-defined networking) for connecting to the critical data centre infrastructure at the back-end.
- IDRBT is an arm of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- It will also have the middleware infrastructure for supporting both digital identity verification, digital identity assessment and digital asset management with the support of efficient digital ledger technologies and AI/ML technologies.”
7. Tianwen-1, China
Tianwen-1, China’s uncrewed spacecraft successfully landed on the surface of Mars on May 15, 2021. The landing of the spacecraft has made the country only the second in the world to send a rover for exploring the Red Planet. China’s ‘Zhurong’ Rover was onboard the lander and the rover will soon be deployed to study the Martian geology and atmosphere.
Current Affairs Quiz
1. World Hypertension Day (WHD) is observed on which day of the year?
A) 17 May
B) 14 May
C) 15 May
D) 16 May
2. miniTV is a newly launched free video streaming service. The service has been launched by which entity?
A) Amazon India
B) Star India
D) Zee Entertainment
3. Who has developed the new anti-Covid drug 2-DG?
b) Bharat Biotech
4. Johnson and Johnson has partnered with which Indian pharma company for manufacturing its COVID-19 vaccine?
a) Biological E
b) Bharat Biotech
c) Zydus Cadila
d) Serum Institute
5. Who has become the first Indian fighter to become MMA World Champion?
a) Chaitanya Gavali
b) Sunny Khatri
c) Mohammed Farhad
d) Arjan Singh Bhullar
6. Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology (IDRBT) is arm of which organization ?
7. Which country has become the second one in the world to send a rover to Mars?