Weekly Current Affairs Quiz: 10 May to 16 May 2021 for Competitive Exams
- Dr. Tahera Qutbuddin has become the first person from India to win the prestigious Sheikh Zayed Book Award. The Mumbai-born professor won the honour for her book ‘Arabic Oration: Art and Function’, which was published by Brill Academic Publishers of Leiden in 2019.
2. Nagaland Conservationist Y Nuklu Phom was named the winner of ‘Whitley Awards 2021′, also known as the Green Oscar, donated by MAVA Foundation on May 12, 2021 for his efforts in establishing a biodiversity peace corridor in Nagaland.
The Subject Expert Committee (SEC) has approved Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin for phase 2 and 3 human clinical trials on 2 to 18-year-olds.
4. Florence Nightingale, was an English social reformer, statistician and the founder of modern nursing. Nightingale came to prominence while serving as a manager and trainer of nurses during the Crimean War, in which she organised care for wounded soldiers at Constantinople. She gave nursing a favourable reputation and became an icon of Victorian culture, especially in the persona of “The Lady with the Lamp” making rounds of wounded soldiers at night.
The United States Food and Drug Administration on May 10, 2021, gave the emergency use approval to Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine for the children in the 12-15 age group. The US government aims at setting up shots for many before the beginning of the next school year.
NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft began its historic 2-year mission back to Earth after collecting samples from asteroid Bennu on May 10, 2021. This is NASA’s first asteroid sample return mission and it carries a generous amount of material collected from the near-Earth asteroid.
Current Affairs Quiz
1. Who has become the first person from India to win the prestigious Sheikh Zayed Book Award?
a) Amrita Pritam
b) Jhumpa Lahiri
c) Khaled Hosseini
d) Tahera Qutbuddin
2. India’s Y Nuklu Phom has been named the winner of ‘Whitley Awards 2021′ for his conservational efforts in which Indian state?
3. The Subject Expert Committee (SEC) has approved which COVID-19 vaccine for phase 2 and 3 human clinical trials on 2 to 18-year-olds?
4. Which among the following COVID-19 variants was first detected in India in October 2020?
5. Which Indian state on May 12, 2021 reported resurgence of the African Swine Fever?
a) Madhya Pradesh
b) West Bengal
c) Uttar Pradesh
6. Which nation will become the most populated country by 2027, as per a UN report?
7. Which nation will be the world’s fastest-growing major economy in 2022, as per the UN?
8. Who was the founder of modern nursing?
a) Mother Teresa
b) Elizabeth Blackwell
c) Clara Barton
d) Florence Nightingale
9. Which nation has approved Pfizer’s vaccine for children in the 12-15 age group?
10. NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft has begun its 2-year journey back to Earth after collecting samples from which asteroid?